Since I had techinical difficulties last night, it’s one big post tonight. Fingers crossed.
Eleanor’s valentine’s are almost done. I just need to tie a few more together and they’ll be set. Heart shaped crayons in little bags tied to cards made from a painting of Eleanor’s. I’m pretty proud of myself here. On time, no stress, all materials found in my house. It all equals success. (Just don’t ask me about Seth’s valentines yet. That’s another story all together.)
The crayons you saw in the previous post. To make the cards I cut down a painting Eleanor did into little 2.5×3.5″ cards. Not just any painting, but a painting I deliberately set limits on. I suggested she make a red painting. Set out a sheet of water color paper, red paint and a big fat paint brush. I was surprised she went for this. Usually when I set limits there’s some pleading involved for something I’m trying to avoid. But this time it worked. Maybe it’s because I’ve only pulled out the paints one other time so far this year. Who knows.
Seth wanted in on the action too. He worked really hard at making hearts. This shot is just for Jen. To show how well I’ve been passing on my pondering trait to my son.
I kept Eleanor in the loop as far as what the next step was but didn’t elaborate beyond that. Another excellent idea for handling 2 year olds if I do say so myself. After the red painting had dried I set out the painting supplies again.
Only this time I just provided the same paper she had already painted on, pink paint and a very small paint brush. She went to town making dots and lines and circles. A good time.
Once the pink dried I cut the paper down, punched holes in one corner and wrote on the backside. No determining which crayon went with which child, making it easier at delivery time.
I had envisioned placing the crayons in little cellophane bags and tying them to the card but you better believe I wasn’t about to hop in the car and drive across town just to lay money down on a dozen little cellophane bags. No siry! So after a little creative brainstorming I decided that there wasn’t any reason I couldn’t sew a ziplock bag to fit my needs. So here is how one ziplock becomes two little treat bags:
Step 1 – sew 2 lines down the middle. The foot may leave a little mark on the plastic and it will probably pucker a little once or twice but no-one will notice, especially the kids.
Step 2 – cut off the top and down the middle.
Wallah! All that was left then was to tie the bags to the cards with scrap bits of ribbon I’ve been accumulating for just such a need.
Now. Back to that Seth issue…